Enjoy this hearty one dish meal during the cooler fall days ahead.
6 skinless chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
3⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 link Portuguese chourico, sliced in rounds
1 cup onion, chopped
1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 1⁄2 cups uncooked arborio rice or 1 1⁄2 cups other medium grain rice
1⁄2 cup diced plum tomato
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
1 garlic clove, minced
3 cups chicken broth
3⁄4 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 cup asparagus, cut diagonally
1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Sprinkle chicken with rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper.
3) Heat oil in a large oven proof nonstick skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat.
4) Add chicken; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
5) Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
6) Add chourice and cook until lightly browned;.
7) Add onion and bell pepper; cook for 7 minutes, stirring constantly.
8) Add rice, tomato, paprika, saffron and garlic; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
9) Return chicken to pan.
10) Add broth and 1/4 teaspoon of salt; bring to boil.
11) Wrap handle of pan with foil, cover pan;.
12) Bake at 400°F for 10 minutes.
13) Stir in shrimp, asparagus, and peas.