Flights from Manila to Basco, Batanes and vice versa have also been cancelled.
Several areas in Northern Luzon are preparing for Typhoon Ferdie (Meranti), which could make landfall in Batanes very early Wednesday, September 14.
Classes in all levels in Batanes were suspended Tuesday, September 13. As of 11 am on Tuesday, state weather bureau PAGASA had already raised signal number 4 over the province.
In Cagayan province, Governor Manuel Mamba also ordered the suspension of classes from preschool to senior high school on Tuesday.
Mamba said Task Force Lingkod Cagayan is now on red alert to respond to emergency and rescue situations.
“Residents in the province are advised to take precautionary measures against impacts of very strong winds and heavy rainfall,” Mamba said in an advisory.
“Small seacraft and fishing boats were also advised not to venture [into sea] due to big waves caused by [the] typhoon, likewise residents near mountain slopes [should be on alert] for possible landslides and flash floods along river banks and tributaries,” he added.
So far, more than a dozen passengers have been stranded in different ports in Northern Luzon.
Hanna Bang-od, chief of operations of the Philippine Coast Guard-Northeast Luzon, told Rappler that the stranded passengers were heading to Calayan Islands and to the coastal towns of Isabela province.
She said the PCG is now closely monitoring coastal areas in Cagayan and Isabela for possible storm surges.
As of 10 am on Tuesday, Bang-od said the PCG monitoring center in Aparri has observed moderate to rough waves.