The ongoing risk presented by Zika Virus continues to develop. This virus, which is spread through mosquito bites, has recently been confirmed in travel-related cases originating in areas of the Caribbean, Central America and South America.
Vision Travel recommends any travellers who intend to visit these countries educate themselves about the risks of the Zika Virus. For travellers who are pregnant, or planning a pregnancy, we recommend you speak with your doctor prior to travelling.
The following resources provide up-to-date information about Zika Virus:
- Public Health Agency of Canada: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/phn-asp/2016/zika-eng.php
- Government of Canada Travel Health Notice: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/travel-health-notices/152
- World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/csr/disease/zika/en/
- Government of Canada (Healthy Canadians) http://www.healthycanadians.gc.ca/diseases-conditions-maladies-affections/disease-maladie/zika-virus/index-eng.php
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov/zika/
While no travel bans have been set, travellers are highly recommended to take active measures against mosquito bites.